Palaces in Mysore
Origin of Mysore
The British invaded India made several war to capture the Mysore city from the Tipu Sultan. The British Government did kill Tipu Sultan and they captured Mysore from him. After invading Mysore, the British handed over the controls to the Wodeyars during the year 1831, yet, they took over the administration on their own with a series of Commissioners until the year 1881. Once again the city was restored to the Wodeyars after 1881. When India got its Independence from the British Government in the year 1947, Mysore became one among India's dominion. Mysore became one among the city in the state of Karnataka in the year 1956.
Mysore Palace has now turned into the most wanted and the most visited tourist attractive place in India and nearly 2.7 million people visit this Palace all around the year. One can only witness the beauty of the place with their own eyes as taking photographs inside the Palace is strictly prohibited. As it is a historically significant palace, every visitor must remove their footwears before entering into the great Mysore Palace.
Location: This palace is located right in the middle of the Mysore city.
Timings: It is opened from 10 am to 5.30 pm, all days of the week
Entry fee: Rs. 40 for the Adults and Rs. 40 for the children above 3 years of age; Rs. 20 for students
The Wodeyar kings are the one who built a palace in the city of Mysore during the 14th century. This was recorded as the first palace that was constructed in this city and it got demolished many times. The King reconstructed the palace multiple times. The famous British architect named Lord Henry Irwin was approached by the Royal Majesty Maharai Vani Vilas and by her son named Rajarshi in order to construct a new royal palace in the same place where the old one existed. The old palace that was constructed by the Wodeyar Kings got completely demolished due to a fire accident and nothing else was found in the place other than the ashes.
During these days, the royal family resided in the Jaganmohan Palace. The construction of the new Mysore Palace was commissioned during the year 1897 and it was completed in the year 1912. The palace was expanded by the Maharaja Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar during the year 1940. He was the last Maharaja to rule the whole Mysore Kingdom. The construction of the Mysore Palace got fully completed by the year 1912. The beautification of the fort was taken care of and also the inhabitants from the fort got slowly shifted to the newly extended place that was built outside the palace. The Public Durbar Hall was one among the extension that happened after the ruling of Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar in Mysore.
The palace is constructed in an Indo-Saracenic type of architectural style. This type of style is a mixed version of Hindu, Rajut, Muslim and Gothic type of architecture. This style is basically a three-stone structure that gets decorated with marble domes and with a tall five-storied tower. The palace has the best and the largest garden in its surrounding. The three-storied building that was constructed using stones have gray granite and pink colored marble domes that was designed by the famous architecture named Henry Irwin. There are many arches in the palace and the central arch holds the tall pillars inside the palace.
The Jaganmohan Palace in Mysore
The palace was once used as a place for daily Durbar by the King of Wodeyar Dynsasty. During the year 1915, the palace got converted as an art gallery and it was renamed as Sri Jayachamarajedra Art Gallery in the year 1955. The convocations of the famous Mysore University took place at this palace for many years. Mysore had its first session in the Legislative Council at this place and it took place during the year 1907. The Legislative council was later on known as the Representative Council that was presided by the Prime Minister of Karnataka. HH Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar is the one who converted this palace into a trust and made the palace open to the public viewing.
Location: This palace is situated across the Sayyaji Rao Road, just behind the Mysore palace complex. You can walk there from the KR circle as well as Mysore City bus stand.
Timing: Everyday of the week; from 8.30 AM to 5.30 PM . Tickets are given till 5 pm.
Entry Fee: Adult – Rs.20.00
Children (5 to 10 years old) – Rs.10.00
Rajendra Vilas in Mysore
The construction of this palace was started during the year 1822 and it got completely finished during the year 1838. The palace again reconstructed by the Krishnaraja Wodeyar who is said to be the fourth successor in the Wodeyar Dynasty. The royal would visit this place to have a great excursion with their family. The Krishnaraja Wodeyar learnt philosophy and English language at this palace.
The palace was constructed by following the Indo-British style. After India got its Independence from the British Government, the Karnataka State Government converted the palace into a heritage structure. During the year 1980, the palace was closed completely as there were some labor problems and the palace was not opened for public opening for many years. The renovation work in the palace was started before 2000 and by the year 2004, the famous ITC Welcome Group came to take over the management of the hotel in this palace. The Wodeyar descendants converted the palace into a palace hotel during their period. The Rajendra Vilas is now the immovable property that belongs to the Rajya Sabha member Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar and the palace was declared to be worth of about 6 crore of Indian rupees.
Location: It is a palace cum hotel located on top of the Chamundi Hills in Mysore
Karanji Vilasa in Mysore
Lokaranjan Mahal in Mysore
Cheluvamba Vilasa in Mysore
Location: It is located on the on the Mysore-Krishnaraja Sagar (KRS) Road, in the northwestern part of Mysore. It is situated in the vicinity of the Mysore City Railway Station.
Mysore is famous for the palaces and the history behind its construction. The palaces are maintained well by the Government so that people from all over India can witness the real history behind the construction of each and every palace in the city of Mysore.